We live in a world where there are never enough hours in the day. Dedicating an entire Saturday to furniture shopping just isn’t reasonable. Thank the lawd for the World Wide Web! [praise hands] I talked about the beauty of buying home décor from Amazon in a previous post, but have you ever considered buying furniture online? These days, you can literally buy your new sofa during your lunch break and free up your Saturday for more important things (cocktails, anyone?). If you are looking to order furniture online, here are some tips to get you started!
- Looks are deceiving. It is hard to tell the true size, color, and quality of furniture from a computer screen. There is always a risk involved with ordering online, so keep that in mind!
- Know dimensions. You may love something, but if it doesn’t fit correctly in your space then you are wasting your time and money. I keep a list of room dimensions and ideal furniture sizes in my phone for reference!
- Know materials. There is a big difference between solid wood and wood laminate. Deciding on your material will also help you set your budget. As far as couches and other upholstered items go, you may be able to request a swatch of the material to get an idea of the true color and texture.
- Read reviews. Don’t trust every review you read, but do trust trends. If the majority of reviewers are saying the same things then it’s worth believing.
- Shipping and handling charges. Furniture is heavy, so it’s no surprise that shipping can get pricey. I’m sure you’ve seen the Wayfair commercials that advertise their free shipping program. Be on the look out for free shipping promotions because it can save you a pretty penny!
- Is pick up available? This may be your best option! Some stores allow you to order/reserve and pay online and then pick up at the store or warehouse within a certain time frame. This way, you avoid any shipping and handling fees.
- Is assembly required? I don’t know about y’all, but there are just some things I don’t want to assemble. I got a new office chair the other day that was a cakewalk to put together, but a home entertainment center or a large shelving unit may not be worth the hassle, in my opinion. If you want to tackle it on your own, make sure you are equipped with the right tools, of course. (Today, I’m thankful for my power drill, amen)
- Does my coupon apply? Woohoo 15% off Crate and Barrel! I’m going to use it on that headboard I’ve been waiting to buy. Hold your horses. Unfortunately, many coupons do not apply to furniture (sad day). Make sure you read the fine print, y’all.
- Ask questions. Most websites have FAQs for specific products or give the option of submitting a question to a customer service representative. Get all your questions answered before you jump to purchase! Remember the surcharges, shipping fees, and hassle that will all be lost in the end if you aren’t satisfied.
- Know your return policy. Ok, so you took a shot at ordering furniture online and you just don’t like it. Let’s make sure your item is returnable and if so, know how much time you have.
Shop for furniture online:
Dwell Studio – Modern, yet chic style. Free shipping over $49
Horchow – More upscale, but worth a look!
ZGallerie – Unique finds
Overstock – Wide selection; great for basics
Where have y’all had success ordering furniture online? Post in the comments below! Thanks for reading:)